Lucis Trust was founded in the United States in 1922 by Alice Bailey and her husband Foster Bailey for the publishing of twenty-four books of esoteric philosophy under Alice Bailey’s name, and to fund and administer activities concerned with the establishment of “right human relations”. These include the Arcane School, a school for esoteric training, World Goodwill, Triangles, a lending library, The Beacon magazine, as well as the publishing company.
According to their website, Lucis Trust is ”dedicated to the establishment of a new and better way of life for everyone in the world based on the fulfillment of the divine plan for humanity. Its educational activities promote recognition and practice of the spiritual principles and values upon which a stable and interdependent world society may be based. The esoteric philosophy of its founder, Alice Bailey, informs its activities which are offered freely throughout the world in eight languages.
Lucis Trust is administered through three separate educational charities, registered in the USA, UK and Switzerland, with offices in New York, London and Geneva. Ultimate responsibility for each charity and for the work undertaken by the Trust is held by a Board of Trustees
Alice Bailey and The Theosophical Society Alice Bailey was a member of The Theosophical Society in America. She writes in her The Unfinished Autobiography1 (1951) that in November 1919 she made her first contact with The Tibetan, the teacher who would later dictate books to her. Mrs Bailey was for some time editor of The American Theosophist and her husband, Foster Bailey, was the National Secretary of the TS in America. Mrs Bailey contributed a number of articles to both The American Theosophist and The Theosophist, the international journal of the TS, even up to the time prior of her leaving the Society. Her articles on Initiation and the Solar System, which would later become part of her book Initiation, Human and Solar, were published by Annie Besant, then President of the TS, in the February, March and June 1921 issues of The Theosophist. A two-part article by her “Christ and the Anti-Christ” — appeared in The Theosophist in November and December 1928. Mrs Bailey became critical of the leadership of the TS at that time, particularly of Annie Besant and C. W. Leadbeater. Having left the TS, in April 1923, with the help of her husband and other devoted colleagues, and at the suggestion of he whom she referred to as The Tibetan, she formed the Arcane School. Other organizations also started by her also came into being since that time. They include Lucis Trust, the World Goodwill and the Lucis Publishing Company.
The Lucis Trust website states that “The Arcane School was created as a training school for adult men and women in meditation techniques and the development of spiritual potentiality. The School provides sequential courses of study and meditation, and practical training in group service.” In her autobiography she declared that “as the result of twenty-seven years work with the Tibetan I can snap into telepathic relation with Him without the slightest trouble.” Published as an appendix to her autobiography is a text entitled “My Work” by The Tibetan. We reproduce below a statement from “My Work” as it bears upon the relationship between Mrs Bailey and the TS: The Theosophical Society had taught the fact of the Masters, though H.P.B. (in her communication to the Esoteric Section) stated that she bitterly regretted so doing. This teaching was misinterpreted by the later theosophical leaders and they made certain basic mistakes.
The Masters of the Wisdom they portrayed were characterized by an impossible infallibility because the Masters are Themselves evolving. The teaching given endorsed an engrossing interest in self-development and an intense focusing on personal unfoldment and liberation. The people who were indicated as initiates and senior disciples were entirely mediocre people with no influence outside the Theosophical Society itself. (p. 246) In the May 1950 issue of The Theosophist, C. Jinarajadasa, then international President of the TS, wrote the following obituary of Mrs Alice Bailey:
1 The Unfinished Autobiography of Alice Bailey, Lucis Publishing Company, New York, 1981, p. 246.
Mrs. Alice Evan-Bailey is well known to most Theosophists. Notification has come from her husband, Mr. Foster Bailey, that she passed away in New York in December last. Though Mrs. Alice Bailey drew apart from the Theosophical Society, yet in her early days before her career as an independent teacher she was closely associated with the Society. When the American Theosophical Headquarters was at the old Krotona in a suburb of Los Angeles, she was one of the household. Two of her articles, which later appeared as a book under the title Initiation, Human and Solar, were published by Dr. Besant in the February 1921 and a later issue of THE THEOSOPHIST. The articles were then signed Alice Evans.
The latest development of her work is the creation by some of her followers of “Triangles” to be centres of goodwill and peace. There are throughout the world today many similar centres, and they are all an indication of the craving of the world for universal Peace. One characteristic of the Theosophical Society is that it is like the meeting-place for caravans, which disperse after a period.
In past lives many individuals have been teachers of varying degrees of importance, each with his own particular following. In this life they find the Society as the most ideal camping-ground in which to discover themselves and their ancient trends with the help of modem Theosophy. Not infrequently many of these pass into the inner school, the original “Second Section” of the Society, which H.P.B. revived in 1888, and find inspiration for a while in its atmosphere. Mrs. Bailey was a member of this inner school for several years. Then after a time, when they have specialized themselves and feel that they have a distinctly individual message, they start separate schools of their own, under various designations, but all fundamentally variants of Theosophy. Sometimes members show anxiety that there should be these migrations out of the Society. It is, however, inevitable, and it is a testimony to the value of the all-embracing nature of the Society and its work.
There are comments on the World Wide Web claiming that the Lucis Trust was once called the Lucifer Trust. Such was never the case. However, for a brief period of two or three years in the early 1920’s, when Alice and Foster Bailey were beginning to publish the books published under her name, they named their fledgling publishing company “Lucifer Publishing Company”. By 1925 the name was changed to Lucis Publishing Company and has remained so ever since.Both “Lucifer” and “Lucis” come from the same word root, lucisbeing the Latin generative case meaning of light. The Baileys’ reasons for choosing the original name are not known to us, but we can only surmise that they, like the great teacher H.P. Blavatsky, for whom they had enormous respect, sought to elicit a deeper understanding of the sacrifice made by Lucifer. Alice and Foster Bailey were serious students and teachers of Theosophy, a spiritual tradition which views Lucifer as one of the solar Angels, those advanced Beings Who Theosophy says descended (thus “the fall”) from Venus to our planet eons ago to bring the principle of mind to what was then animal-man. In the theosophical perspective, the descent of these solar Angels was not a fall into sin or disgrace but rather an act of great sacrifice, as is suggested in the name “Lucifer” which means light-bearer.
compiled by Dh.